There’s a perception that the best cars for moms, and families, are minivans and SUVs. As a person that cares about what I drive, I say not necessarily. When I was given the opportunity for an extended test drive of the new Mercedes-Benz C 300 4MATIC Wagon, I was so excited! This car turns heads in the parking lot the way no SUV or minivan ever would.
The 2019 Mercedes-Benz C 300 4MATIC Wagon offers the driving feel of a car with the versatility of an SUV. It’s large enough to seat a family comfortably, it has a powerful and fuel-efficient engine, all-wheel drive, plenty of cargo space and, above all this, it looks great. Do I have to mention the optional panoramic sunroof?
I had never driven a Mercedes-Benz car before so I had no idea how quiet it drives, both around town and at speed. Wind and road noise are minimal, it soaks up bumps and rough pavement with such an ease (that really helps when you have a baby sleeping in the car!). The seats are some of the most comfortable I’ve sat in. There’s just something about the way the seat bolsters hug you… If you’re looking for a luxurious ride, this car nails it. Elegant materials are everywhere you look and touch. The interior design is very tasteful. Two smartphone-like pads lets you scroll, swipe and select numerous features and settings with your thumbs on the steering wheel. I also like that it comes with the rear-window sunshades and illuminated door sills.
Best thing ever? The ability to open the liftgate by simply kicking your foot underneath the rear bumper. Convenience you can appreciate. I can be in a parking lot carrying a baby and shopping bags and thanks to this innovative technology – a little kick is all it takes.
Now, let’s talk about the safety – when shopping for a new car, safety should be a key consideration. The C-Class comes standard with emergency automatic braking with pedestrian detection, attention assist, and Pre-Safe. Optional safety features include emergency automatic braking with cross-traffic detection, adaptive cruise control, lane centering, steering-responsive headlights, high beam assist, blind-spot monitoring, active lane change assist, active emergency stop assist, active speed limit assist, a self-parking system, a surround-view camera system, and rear cross-traffic alert.
To sum it all up, here are some of my favourite car features and some weak points:
• gorgeous design, impeccable interior finish and outstanding attention to detail in the cabin;
• the front seats are comfortable and deliver lots of support and plenty of room;
• a Wi-Fi hotspot;
• wireless phone charging;
• a 360-degree camera.
Car features that prove we’re living in the damn future:
• the fact that the car lets the car park itself;
• the ability to open the liftgate using your foot;
• the fact that it features driver warnings for falling outside a lane or getting too close to another car;
• a network of sensors that keep a constant lookout for danger ahead, even if it’s coming from behind.
• price – the 2019 Mercedes-Benz C-Class starts at $47,400
• generous cargo hold with rear seats down but if you are always carting around ‘stuff’ in addition to your passengers, consider stroller, coolers, suitcases, sports equipment, etc, the trunk space is a bit small
• a learning curve to the Mercedes’ infotainment system.
Overall, I absolutely loved how this car drove and all the features that this car provides! ‘A plus’ for style, comfort and driving experience. I know, I know – a Mercedes-Benz isn’t exactly the most affordable mommymobile. But moms work hard, and what better reward is there than a nice car?
Disclosure: Thank you to Mercedes-Benz for the opportunity to test drive the new Mercedes-Benz C 300 4MATIC Wagon. All thoughts and opinions expressed in this post are entirely my own.